What are the different kinds of support available for children at Whimple School?

Class teacher input (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean that:

  • The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all the pupils in their class.

  • Teaching builds upon what your child already knows, understands and can do.

  • Different teaching methods are employed wherever appropriate, so that your child is fully involved in learning.

  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo or other professionals) are in place to support your child to learn.

  • The teacher will have carefully monitored your child’s progress and will have identified gaps in their understanding/learning and what extra support they may need to help them make the best possible progress. They may record specific targets on a SMART Plan. 

Specific group work

Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.

  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).

  • Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy. This means that a pupil has been identified by the SENDCo/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from services or outside agencies such as the school nurse, Parent Support Advisor, Education Psychologist, ASD Service (Autistic Spectrum Disorder), Behaviour Support Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing, visual or other sensory need).

    What could happen?

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help you and the school to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.

  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is supported.

  • If a child’s SEND needs are likely to be longer term and involve a range of outside services, the school may use the Right For Children process.

    Please click on the link in the side bar for ‘Universal Offer.' This gives an overall explanation of the process through a flowchart.

Individual support

  • This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

  • This is provided via a statutory Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of support.

  • An EHCP assessment will usually only apply to children and young people with the most complex needs in a mainstream school, or those who require a specialist school or setting. The plan would be written by the 0-25 Team.